The cool days of fall are slowly approaching, and that means pulling out the light jackets, long sleeves, and soup recipes!
I love a nice, piping hot bowl of soup! Complete with croutons or garlic bread. Or a BLT.
My kids love soup, too. And I’ve found a few recipes that offer plenty of taste and nutrition.
This cream of tomato soup I adapted from a recipe by Ina Garten.
And the best thing about this soup is the fresh basil. Go to the store and get some. You cannot substitute the flavor with some dried basil from a jar.
5 medium sized tomatoes (chopped)
1 small onion (chopped)
1 small carrot (chopped)
1 small potato (chopped)
1 clove garlic minced
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp of sugar
3 cups of broth or just water
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tsp heavy cream
Ground black pepper and salt to taste
1. Heat up oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add garlic, onion, carrot and potato. Let cook until translucent.
2. Add tomatoes, paste, basil, broth/water, sugar, and salt/pepper.
3. Let boil once and simmer until soft.
4. Puree soup with immersion blender
5. Put back in pan, add cream and let heat through.
6. Serve with croutons or garlic bread